Guidelines To A Successful Video Interview
The beautiful thing about a video interview is that it can be done from the convenience of your home. It may seem less intimidating opposed to an in-office interview. However, just because you may be able to interview from the comforts of your home, preparation is required to lead a successful video interview.
Here are a few things you can do to ensure a successful video interview:
1. Prep the environment
- Avoid noises coming from music, TV, pets, traffic or construction
- If the room’s background is in view, tidy up as needed and keep it looking presentable
- Make sure the lighting source is sufficient for the time of the interview
- Use indirect light in front of your face (not coming from behind you)
2. Test technical equipment
- Test the quality of your camera a few days before the interview; if the quality is poor, consider borrowing an alternate one
- Take note of how your face appears on your monitor, or ask a friend for feedback
- If possible, use an external microphone to improve the audio quality and to avoid picking up unwanted sounds or echo from the speakers.
- Test the audio levels by speaking into the microphone just as you will during the interview.
- Pay attention to your vocal volume and clarity.
3. Avoid technical mishaps
- Test the speed of your internet connection.
- Make any adjustments that will optimize its performance, such as quitting unneeded applications that use up bandwidth.
- Practice the entire process in advance with a friend, until you feel confident in your ability to operate every component.
Among all these things, always remain calm and collective during the interview. Pace yourself, speak clearly and loudly and emphasize your expertise in hard skills and your soft skills. Lastly, prepare for potential interview questions. Good luck!